Wednesday, September 14, 2005
The Ladies Market
This is a photo taken in one of the many outdoor markets in Hong Kong. As originally it sold mostly women's clothes, it is known as the 'Ladies Market'. It now sells lots of things, ranging from the items of dubious legality (i.e. stolen) to items of dubious authenticity (i.e. 'Rolex' watch for £5), as well as cheap T-shirts and, oddly enough, novelty thongs.
One major part that I enjoyed here was the haggling. Unlike a Mr H “Oh no, that’s far too cheap, take more money” Amos, I felt I was rather good. I had a nice manbag for HK$50, and some little shell bracelets to give as presents for around HK$10 each. Also purchased was the obligatory Chairman Mao T-shirt, although that stayed packed away until getting back to the UK – I have some tact after all. There were some lovely bargains to be had, and it was great coming to a place that tour parties would avoid like the plague (pickpockets were all about apparently).
One major part that I enjoyed here was the haggling. Unlike a Mr H “Oh no, that’s far too cheap, take more money” Amos, I felt I was rather good. I had a nice manbag for HK$50, and some little shell bracelets to give as presents for around HK$10 each. Also purchased was the obligatory Chairman Mao T-shirt, although that stayed packed away until getting back to the UK – I have some tact after all. There were some lovely bargains to be had, and it was great coming to a place that tour parties would avoid like the plague (pickpockets were all about apparently).
